Here are the straight facts on Alexander Burmistrov:
- He scored 23 goals and 43 assists for 65 points in 62 games with the Barrie Colts last season and added another eight goals and eight assists in 17 playoff games.
- He came over to North America last season to play in the OHL so he would be better suited for the NHL.
- Burmistrov has no intention of playing in the KHL. Ak Bars owns his rights but he’s under no obligation to return. He said he can stay in Barrie or play for the Thrashers next season, and he thinks he has the skill to play for the Thrashers next season. In his words, “I really hate the KHL. It’s for old guys.“
- The playmaking center is listed at about 160 lbs depending what site you check but Rick Dudley says he has bulked up to 175 lbs since the season ended. Dudley agreed that he could challenge for a roster spot if he can add another 10 lbs or so.
- He wears #8 because he grew up idolizing Igor Larionov. His favorite NHL player is Pavel Datsyuk from the Red Wings and that’s who he most likes to be compared to.
- He isn’t a big Kovalchuk or Ovechkin fan but he likes Afinogenov and Kozlov. He also admitted to being a bit starstruck when he saw Sidney Crosby jogging in LA.
- He only knew a handful of English words before moving from Russia to Ontario last summer but now he’s close to being fluent. That speaks to have smart he is.
- He likes The Family Guy, pop and club music, and chatting with friends online in his spare time. He also likes golf but he isn’t good at it.
- Both his father (Oleg) and brother (Mark) played hockey. His mother (Anzhelika) has a dance background.
- He isn’t sure where he’ll spend the summer. He’s willing to do whatever the Thrashers want.
- Alex knows some of our OHL prospects including Ed Pasquale and Cody Sol. He also knows Eric O’Dell whose Sudbury Wolves were swept by the Colts in the OHL playoffs. He doesn’t think O’Dell likes him.
- His first NHL game was a Leafs/Thrashers game. Afterwards he talked to former Barrie Colt Bryan Little who he really likes.
- He’s an outstanding faceoff man and a student of the game. His speed and hockey sense are his two greatest assets. Dudley says he’s always in the right position at both ends of the ice. He plays center and wing but Dudley wants him at center when he can use his intelligence.
- He was the fastest skater at the CHL top prospects skills competition.
Some Burmistrov links: